I decided to take Punky Girl to an Apple Festival at a ranch near our community, Did I just say a ranch? Yes, a working cattle ranch has orchards of apples, pears and peaches-it is quite a little jewel in the desert. As we were driving there, I told her that the trees she saw outside were called Joshua trees and we were in the Joshua Tree Forest. Punky said, "OOOOO, spooky!" I asked her what was so spooky and she said, "The forest, there are bears here." I had to laugh at this point. I said, "Punky, does it look like there are bears out there?" "No, Mom, it actually looks like the desert." Hmmm, perceptive isn't she? I told Punky that we would be safe and no bears would get us while we were apple picking. Luckily, she believed me and I didn't have to fight off bears to get us there. But, I was prepared :) We did see a few wild turkeys that live at the ranch but those aren't "spooky" enough for Punky.
While we didn't gather many apples, we did get some apple butter, a homemade apple pie (which is why I REALLY went), a few pears, and some really cute pictures.
Saturday, September 13
"Spooky" Apple Festival
My friend from the Midwest said the first time she saw a Joshua tree, she thought it was something out of a Dr. Suess book. She might have point if you really look at them.
Punky Girl was eager to go apple pickin'
Labels: Fall
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 Comments:
I took the girls apple picking at this veryranchwhen they weresmall. However, many of the apples had been bird pecked and were full of wasps - I got a terible sting and that is when i learned about liquid blueing in ice water for stings :)
Yeah, the apples weren't very good this year. There were lots of bees and cow pies to avoid stepping on. I managed to avoid one but not the other. Can you guess which I didn't avoid? :)
Hmmmm...Dr Seuss, eh? I guess 'tis true. It always fascinates me how some things are just "normal" because they are what we know. :)
Sounds like you guys had a fun little trip. If I was supposed to have been there...I have absolutely no recollection of the above mentioned apple picking...though, I know the liquid blueing is a godsend for icky stings.
Bummer about the 'pies' you didn't go to the ranch for!
: )
Post a Comment