Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, August 1

March Madness

March Madness is usually in reference to the NCAA basketball championship play-offs. However, in our family it is something entirely different. In between Punky's birthday and Baseball season, we were flying around like chicken with our heads cut off. It was an insanely crazy time. So crazy, I didn't even manage to take pictures. Here is a recap of some of the events we had going on.




*Both kids played basketball this year. Nimrod coached Buckaroo's team and I coached Punky Girl's. We had practice twice a week and games on Saturdays from February through the first of April. We all had a really good time.

--The highlight of the season for Punky Girl was getting to play on Buckaroo's team. The first game of the season, his team didn't have enough players. She knew the plays because Nimrod and I run the same basic plays so she fit right in. She played the entire game and held her own. Many parents were wowed by her. Then, she went on to immediately play her in own game. She handled it with modestly while at the gym but when we got home she was jumping out of skin. It was a blast for her.

--The highlight for Buckaroo was playing against the "other" best player in the league (also a good friend of his). Both teams were undefeated when they met up and there was a little bit of hype leading up to this game. Buckaroo and the other player of course had to guard each other. This only helped sharpen their skills and pick up their game play. The crazy thing was that the game ended in a tie! There is no overtime in our city league so that is what happened. Buckaroo had the best game and had fun competitively playing against his friend. It was nice to have it end in a tie. Later in the season they met again and our team ended up winning. Nobody seemed to notice and Buckaroo was just as happy as when it ended in a tie.



In the middle of Basketball season, Nimrod came down with the chickenpox. It was so bizarre. He never had them a child and thought he was immune, WRONG! He was quarantined for a week and we all avoided him like the plague. The nice thing was that while I went off to work, he was at home with a huge honey-do list. It was nice having a "wife" for a week. We heard horror stories about adults with chickenpox but he was very fortunate and had no itching and very little scarring.



Spring Break came and went in a blur. We managed to take in a Spring Training game with Pickles and her mom. We all tried to catch up on sleep and not do anything taxing. The kids and I went to the river 3 different days and played in the water. That was a ton of fun!



Basketball ended at 12pm on a Saturday and Baseball started at 2pm on that same day. We hit the ground running. With Nimrod coaching both of the kids teams and me being president of the league, we were out at the park 6 nights a week....and we wouldn't have it any other way. Buckaroo's team went 11-1. He pitched a game where he struck out 13 players. I got it on video so can watch it when I am old and he is in the pros :) Punky Girl rocked in t-ball! She hit the ball into the outfield and threw players out at first base. I know there are no outs in tball but she still did it and did it well.



Whew! We flew through February, March and April. Actually May too if you knew of all the end of the school year activities. Buckaroo won his grade level spelling bee. Punky placed in her age bracket soccer shootout. She doesn't even play soccer but the schools in the area had a competition and she placed 3rd.



Now you know why my blog is only updated once every few months! I would promise to get better but I know that would be an empty promise. Instead, I will spend a week each summer recapping the last six months.

0 Comments: